See this video in additional languages in our video gallery.
CSU East Bay offers excellent education in an exciting location at a competitive price. A comprehensive bachelors and masters degree granting institution, the University is located in the beautiful and culturally diverse San Francisco Bay Area. The school offers undergraduate degrees in 50 fields and graduate degrees in 35 areas. Popular programs are biology, business, communications, computer science, engineering management, construction management, health sciences, kinesiology, multimedia, nursing, psychology and speech-language pathology. In addition to degree programs, the American Language Program offers intensive English language study as preparation for university study. A wide variety of certificate and gateway programs — including conditional admissions for undergraduates, the pre-MBA program and International Business diploma — offer excellent opportunities for professional and academic advancement.
With over over 15,500 students enrolled annually, CSUEB is a medium-sized university with the largest proportion of international students in the CSU system. Our over 1,250 international students come from over 70 countries including, China, India, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan (China), Nigeria, South Korea, Indonesia, and Germany.
Our international students enjoy the California life-style and the professional development and career opportunities found in Silicon Valley and Northern California. CSUEB offers the best combination of quality and cost in a location that is everyone’s favorite.
California State University, East Bay has been ranked a “Best in the West” university by Princeton Review and rates high in value with among the lowest tuition fees in the U.S. for comparable institutions and among the lowest housing fees in the CSU system. The university utilizes a quarter-based academic calendar (note: CSUEB expects to convert to a semester-based system in Fall 2018).
ESL program and/or support services:
The American Language Program offers:
- The Intensive English Program teaches a wide variety of English skills for general and academic purposes. The course curriculum offers six levels of instruction which cover beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
- Conditional Admission for Undergraduate degree programs for students who are academically qualified but have not met the English proficiency requirement for California State University, East Bay (CSUEB). Students are issued a “Conditional Admission” letter from CSUEB and are advised to attend the American Language Program’s Intensive English Program until they meet the University English language requirement.
- Pre-MBA is an intensive, integrated curriculum of business courses, GMAT preparation and critical academic skills for students preparing to enter graduate business school. (Please note: Admission into Pre-MBA does not guarantee admission to the MBA program at CSUEB)
- Certificate programs: Paralegal Studies and International Business Diploma (note: students may apply for Optional Practical Training/OPT once the IBD program is completed with a GPA 2.5 or higher).
- Visiting Student Program allows international students who meet the required standards in English proficiency to experience one or more semesters of university study at CSUEB. Visiting students have access to CSUEB undergraduate courses on a space available basis.
The American Language Program offers the following support services:
- Airport pick up (for a fee, upon request)
- On-campus housing available
- Academic Advisors for all students
- Fun Trips to local San Francisco Bay area sites
- Speaking Partner program
Student Housing options
University Village student housing is available to all students. A short walk from classes and provides spacious, fully furnished apartments. A true living-learning community designed to help you thrive academically, personally, and socially.
TOEFL 61 or IELTS 6.0
- GPA 3.0 or B (must have completed the equivalent of 12 years of elementary and secondary schooling)
- Lower Division: Less than 60 semester (90 quarter), transferable units – minimum GPA 3.0
- Upper Division: More than 60 semester (90 quarter) transferable units – Minimum GPA 2.0
|Semester||Filing Period||First year Freshmen||Transfer|
(starts in August)
|Oct. 1 (of prior year) – April 30 of same year||X||X||X|
(starts in January)
|August 1 – September 30 (of prior year)||Not accepting applications||X||X|
*NOTE: Some graduate programs have earlier application deadlines.
Intensive English Program, Conditional Admission, Pre-MBA, International Business Diploma, Paralegal Studies
- 8 week programs offered five times a year (2 8-week sessions each semester and an 8-week summer session)
Visiting Student Program
- Apply for 16-week Fall or Spring Semester or eight-week summer session.
International Student visas issued
Both F1 and J1 visas are issued.
Cost of attendance (tuition)
|Degree Program (One Academic Year, 2 semesters)|
|Undergraduate (12 units per semester)||$16,350|
|Graduate (8 units per semester)||$14,616|
|MBA (8 units per semester)||$18,936|
|Intensive English||$2,800/8-week session or
|Visiting student program
(12 units undergraduate level courses)
|Visiting student program
(9 units graduate level courses)
|Paralegal Studies||$1,530/8-week session (5 sessions required)|
|International Business Diploma with OPT||$2,550/8-week session (4 sessions required)|
For more information, please click here.